- Remove the cover and inspect the damage. If the cover is cracked or broken, it may need to be replaced. If the damage is minor, you can attempt to repair it.
- Clean the cover with a degreased to remove any oil or dirt that may have accumulated.
- Sand the damaged area with fine-grit sandpaper to create a rough surface for the epoxy to adhere to.
- Mix a two-part epoxy according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Apply a small amount of epoxy to the damaged area, then press the two pieces of the cover together.
- Use clamps or vise grips to hold the cover in place while the epoxy cures. Refer to the epoxy manufacturer’s instructions for curing time.
- After the epoxy has cured, remove the clamps or vise grips and sand the repaired area with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth any rough edges.
- Clean the cover again with a degreased to remove any epoxy residue.
- Replace the cover on the chainsaw and ensure it is properly secured.
It’s worth noting that if the cover is badly damaged or the repair does not hold, it may be necessary to replace the cover entirely. It’s always recommended to use genuine Husqvarna replacement parts to ensure the best fit and performance.
The design was first introduced in the 1950s and has been used by a number of different manufacturers ever since. As with most oilskin garments, there are several theories about where the name came from. Given that “rancher” is a word used to describe someone who looks after cattle, it’s probably safe to assume that this design was inspired by ranchers.
But where did it come from, and why do so many people associate it with the oil industry? With over 70 years in the industry, we recently caught up with former Whitworth engineer Mr. Thomas Davison, who designed around 25 oilskin garments during his time working for the company. One such garment was the 455 Rancher Saw Cover – which we asked him all about…
What is a 455 Rancher Saw Cover?
A 455 rancher saw cover is a cover that wraps around a saw to protect it from rain and debris. It can be made from several different materials, but the most common are rubberized cotton and oilskin. The oilskin type is designed to keep the rain out. It wraps around the saw in such a way that it has a flap that folds over the top of the saw. This flap is held in place using either a piece of rope or a snap button.
Why Was The Rancher Saw Cover Designed?
Oil rigs have always had problems with rainwater getting into the machinery. Therefore, when it rains, the oil workers need to cover the machinery with a tarpaulin. The problem is that the saws need to be kept outside the cabin. There is no place to put them and they are not safe there. Covering the saw is important to keep the rain out. Keeping the rain out will protect the teeth of the saw from wearing down. A wet saw is less efficient and could cause injury to the workers. The rancher saw cover is a protective cover that covers the outside of the saw. It covers both the chain and the teeth of the saw. The cover will keep the rain out and protect the saw.
What Materials Are Used To Make A Husqvarna 455 Rancher Saw Cover?
There are various materials that can be used to make a cover for a Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw, but the most suitable materials are heavy-duty fabrics that can withstand the rugged outdoor conditions that the saw may encounter. Some of the commonly used materials for making a Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw cover include:
- Canvas: This is a strong and durable fabric that is ideal for making saw covers, as it can withstand wear and tear. It is also water-resistant, which helps to protect the saw from moisture.
- Denim: This is another strong and durable fabric that can withstand rough outdoor conditions. It is also water-resistant and can help protect the saw from scratches and other damages.
- Nylon: This is a lightweight and waterproof fabric that can provide excellent protection to the saw from the elements. It is also easy to clean and maintain.
- Polyester: This is a durable and water-resistant fabric that is resistant to mildew and UV rays. It is also lightweight and easy to clean, making it an excellent choice for making a saw cover.
When choosing a fabric to make a Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw cover, it is important to consider its durability, water-resistance, and ease of maintenance. The fabric should also be strong enough to withstand the rugged outdoor conditions that the saw may encounter.
How To Sew A Husqvarna 455 Rancher Saw Cover?
- Heavy-duty fabric such as canvas or denim
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Measure the dimensions of your saw, including the length, width, and height.
- Cut out two pieces of fabric based on your measurements, adding an extra inch or two to each side for seam allowances.
- Pin the two pieces of fabric together with the right sides facing each other.
- Using a sewing machine, sew around three sides of the fabric, leaving one of the shorter sides open.
- Turn the fabric right side out.
- Fold the open side of the fabric inward, creating a hem. Pin the hem in place.
- Sew the hem in place using the sewing machine.
- Cut a piece of fabric to create a handle for your cover. The size of the handle will depend on your personal preference.
- Fold the fabric for the handle in half lengthwise with the right sides facing each other.
- Sew around the edges of the fabric, leaving a small opening to turn the fabric right side out.
- Turn the fabric right side out.
- Attach the handle to the top of the saw cover. Sew the handle onto the fabric using a sewing machine.
- Your Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw cover is now complete! Slip it over your saw to protect it from dust and debris when it’s not in use.
So Where Does The Name Come From?
There are two theories as to where the name comes from. One theory is that ranchers used to wear saw covers over their hats because they didn’t have any other way to protect them. Another theory is that this type of saw cover was designed for a rancher who was working on an oil rig. Ranchers typically wear cowboy hats and oil rig workers typically wear hard hats, making it unlikely that a saw cover designed for a cowboy hat would find a place in the oil industry. But when the design was created, it was originally made from cowhide. The cowhide saw the cover was then shortened to just “rancher saw the cover.” The name was then used for the oilskin version of the saw cover. In many oil rigs, the oilskin version of the saw cover is the most common.
Rancher saw covers are still used today, but they are not as common. Instead, the saw covers used in the oil industry today are often made from rubberized cotton. Oil rig workers still use saw covers to protect their saws from rain and debris. While the design may have changed, the purpose of the rancher saw cover remains the same as it did when it was first invented.
Husqvarna 455 Rancher Saw Cover
A rancher saw cover is a cover that wraps around a saw to protect it from rain and debris. It can be made from several different materials, but the most common are rubberized cotton and oilskin.
Oil rigs have always had problems with rainwater getting into the machinery. Therefore, when it rains, the oil workers need to cover the machinery with a tarpaulin.
Oil rig workers need clothing that is strong, durable, and waterproof. They also need clothing that will protect them from outdoor weather conditions.